ALPHA KAPPA DELTA
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the International Sociology Honor Society. Alpha Kappa Delta seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition. AKD was founded at the University of Southern California in 1920 and became a certified member of the Association of College Honor Societies in 1967. Students who meet the academic requirements are encouraged to join. If you are interested, please contact Professor David Skubby (AKD Advisor) at email@example.com. You can also visit the Alpha Kappa Delta website: www.alphakappadelta.org for more information.
What are the eligibility requirements for undergraduate students?
- Students must be enrolled as a major or minor in the Sociology program
- Students must be in their third or fourth year of college.
Students must have an overall GPA of 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.0 in sociology classes at
- Students must have completed four courses in sociology prior to initiation (equivalent to 12 semester hours)
What are the benefits of membership in Alpha Kappa Delta?
- Lifetime membership and recognition for outstanding academic achievement in sociology.
- A free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official scholarly journal of Alpha Kappa Delta.
- AKD sponsors an annual undergraduate and graduate student paper competition. Winners receive a cash prize and travel money to participate in the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting. First place winning papers are considered for publication in Sociological Inquiry.
- AKD provides travel grants to its members to present at regional sociological meetings
- Members may wear an official AKD honor cord to their graduation ceremony.
- The U.S. government accepts AKD membership as one of the credentials for entrance into government employment at the GS-7 level instead of the GS-5 level in numerous professional and technical occupations.
What are the costs of membership in Alpha Kappa Delta?
- There is a one-time membership fee of $50. This covers the cost of the certificate, the membership card, and shipping.