It is a great pleasure to welcome you to the Sociology Department at the University of Virginia! Our overriding goals are as follows:
- To establish and maintain a vibrant intellectual community for students and faculty
- To provide an outstanding curriculum in sociological theory, methods, and research for excellent undergraduates
- To ensure that UVA undergraduates—sociology majors, sociology minors, and others who will take only one or a few sociology courses—become familiar with, and will be inspired by, the major insights, perspectives, and accomplishments of our diverse discipline
- To train outstanding graduate students for exceptional careers in teaching, research, industry, and public life
- To provide the resources and infrastructure for a world-class faculty who are leaders in their fields and in public discourse locally, nationally, and internationally
- To play a central role in the life of the College and University, enacting the best practices and aspirations of contemporary academic life
The Sociology department at UVA has a long and venerable history, and a remarkable record of accomplishment and prominence. But these are only a foundation for our future ambitions. We invite you to join us, follow us, help us as we work to advance our goals. And we welcome your participation in and feedback on our work. Please look for us on Twitter and Facebook, on our new and more dynamic website, and on Youtube. Look for, and respond to, entries on the Department Blog. And do not hesitate to get in touch with me or any of my colleagues.